Potentially DANGEROUS parasite found in Irish drinking water supply

9th Nov 17 | News

The parasite can cause stomach upset, fever, weight loss and diarrhoea.

A parasite that can cause respiratory and gastrointestinal illness has been found in drinking water in Cork.

Cryptosporidium was found to be in the water supply of Ballyhooly and Mitchelstown.

The microscopic parasite can cause stomach upset, fever, weight loss and diarrhoea and poses a serious threat to the elderly, infants and those with weakened immune systems.

Audits were initiated by the Environmental Protection Agency after the bug was discovered in the water supplies of Ballyhooly and Mitchelstown earlier in the summer.

They found that no barrier had been put in place to prevent the parasite from entering the water supply at Ballyhooly.

The EPA said there was a “very high risk” of the water supply in the village being contaminated with the bug and have urged Irish water to install a barrier immediately.

The water supply at Mitchelstown has been classified as at “moderate risk” for the parasite.

In September the EPA warned that 25 public water systems in the country do not have adequate treatment systems to kills cryptosporidium and that 161,000 people may be at risk of illness from drinking contaminated water from these supplies.

MORE FROM XPOSÉ