13 fabulous finds for giving your dressing table a mini or major makeover9th Nov 17 | Lifestyle
With party season approaching, it's time to take a look in the mirror and reassess your beauty station.
With so many lights, baubles and mirrored decorations on display at this time of year, it’s hardly surprising we want to glam ourselves up as much as the festive frou-frou, and reinvent the art of getting ready.
You know, that wonderful process of prepping for a party, when half the fun is the time spent in front of the mirror? A smudge of gloss, a touch of glamour, a generous spritz of woody scent and a glass of bubbly before taking to the red carpet (or taxi).
To set the mood and help you shine as much as the tinsel on the trees, we’ve eyed up the best dressing tables, vanity units and beauty bars, so you can pamper and preen in style…
1. Ekby Valter/Ekby Hemnes Wall Shelf, £16; Lots Mirror, £4.99 for pack of four; Pax Wardrobe, £130, and Lillholmen Wall Lamp, £12, Ikea
Set the stage with this black unit and mirrored backdrop; the next best thing to being in a glamorous blow-dry bar. Style the walls with a vintage faux fur and some costume jewellery, to help you slip into a starring role.
2. Malm Desk, £95; Godmorgon Mirror, £35, and Ledsjo LED Wall Lamp, £42, Ikea
Nothing says Hollywood glam like a dressing room light-framed mirror. This white Ikea desk would look perfect against a backdrop of soft pink walls (Heart Wood, Dulux Colour of the Year 2018, is a beautiful shade).
3. Linea Medium Light Up Star, £25, House of Fraser
If you need to wish upon a star that the evening goes well, this light-up version could help your dreams come true. And if not, at least it’ll look pretty!
4. Pearl Arc Hangers, £12.95 for set of three, House of Bath
Torn between the little black cocktail number, prom dress or sequin sheeth? Not to worry, these decorative hangers will even charm a Pearly Queen.
5. Pimlico Dressing Table Mirror, £195, The White Company
Mirror, mirror… If you’re looking for something simple and elegant but with ample width, this mirror is large enough for even the most grand designs.
6. Stonedust Brush Holder, £24; Set of Make Up Brushes, £38 for pack of five with compact mirror, Oliver Bonas (available from mid-November)
If you want to perfect your brush strokes, we love this dove grey set with corresponding marble holder.
7. Nomess Balsabox Personal Storage Box – Large – Pink, £104, Amara
One of the best kept beauty secrets is knowing exactly how to store your tools of the trade. This stylish box will look good in any space, and keep things neat and organised.
8. Lund Allure Mirror with Tray, £60, Amara
If you’re short on space and like to keep things to a minimum – just a stain of red lippy, quick coat of mascara, flick of eyeliner and hint of blush and you’re ready to go – then this is the product for you. Compact, functional and gorgeous.
9. Dressing Table with Mirror, £79.99, Sue Ryder
As the say, it’s all in the detail, and we love the idea of having a different drawer for night and day make-up, plus a separate holding area for things like powders and foundation. With a mirror beneath the lid, this is a great option if you’re short of space.
10. Classic White Range Dressing Table with Stool, £154.95, Melody Maison
With gracefully curved legs, two drawers with drop handles and a cushioned-top stool to perch on, this French-inspired dressing table set will add a touch of class to any room set.
11. Ivory Metal Swing Mirror, £32.95, Melody Maison
Even better, complement the table with this swing mirror for a boutique feel.
12. Rectangular Mirror Display Tray, £21.95, Melody Maison
And for added drama, place some art deco-style perfume bottles and a luxurious scented candle on this mirrored tray.
13. Penn Dressing Table with Mirror in Dark Stain Ash, £279, Made
After something a little less frilly? We love the stark simplicity of this dresser, with its clean lines and dark wood.
© Press Association 2017