An offshoot of the Seventies trend, corduroy is back on the catwalks - and shaking off its fusty reputation.
While velvet and suede have come roaring back into fashion in recent years, their cousin corduroy has remained a style pariah, encumbered by associations with 1970s smart-casual businessmen and geography teachers (of all eras).
But now, those very same sartorial outcasts have been welcomed back into the fold (because what is fashion if not fickle?), with head-to-toe cord looks cropping up on the Prada, Marc Jacobs and Lemaire autumn/winter catwalks, and the ribbed fabric gaining major traction in the high street collections too.
In autumnal colours – like copper, crimson, burgundy and a range of deep greens – the Seventies associations are obvious, and the soft but sturdy textile is ideal for mixing with other winter warmers, like cashmere and cable knits.
We’ve picked 10 top buys to add to your cold weather wardrobe. With these stylish pieces, you’ll soon want to get on board with cord.
1. MiH Marty Cord Jeans, £195
2. Bonprix Bronze Soft Cord Blazer, £39.99; Vintage Print Blouse, £19.99; Jeans, £29.99; Necklace, £14.99
3. La Redoute R Essential Corduroy Jacket, £49
4. Miss Selfridge Pink Balloon Sleeve Knitted Jumper, currently reduced to £22.50 from £30; Burgundy Corduroy A-Line Skirt, currently reduced to £21 from £28
5. Laura Ashley Cord Waist Tunic, currently reduced to £40 from £80
6. George at Asda Corduroy A-Line Skirt, £12.50
7. M&Co Petite Cable Knit Turtle Neck Jumper, £29; Petite A-Line Cord Skirt, £22
8. Cath Kidston Corduroy Trousers, currently reduced to £42 from £70
9. Glamorous Pink Corduroy Trucker Jacket, £60
10. George at Asda Dungaree Dress, £16 (in stores later this month)
© Press Association 2017