Goat's Cheese Salad with Marinated Beetroot and Pickled Carrot
Sun, 1 July 2018
250g Young Goats cheese cut into 8 slices
2-3 large beetroot, washed and tops removed
150ml sherry vinegar
100ml white wine vinegar
3 carrots, cut into ribbons using a peeler
Mixture of fresh salad leaves, washed and dried
for the dressing:
100ml rapeseed oil
30ml cider vinegar
1 tbsp. mustard
1 tbsp. honey
salt and pepper
1. For the marinated beetroot, preheat the oven to 170ºC.
2. Place the oil, vinegar, sugar and the beetroot on a tray. Cover the tray with foil and place in the oven.
3. After 30 minutes turn the beetroot, cover again and cook for a further 30 minutes. Once the beetroot are tender allow to cool in the liquid.
4. Once cooled, peel and cut them into thin slices. Keep them in the liquid until needed.
5. For the pickled carrots, heat the water, vinegar and the sugar in a pot. Bring this to a boil and add the carrots.
6. Cook for about 3 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow them to cool in the liquid (this will keep for about 2 weeks in a fridge).
7. For the dressing, mix all the ingredients together, taste and season well.
8. In a large bowl, add the beetroot, carrot and salad leaves take some of the dressing and add it to the bowl. Season with salt and pepper and mix all of this carefully.
9. Take a handful of this and put it on the centre of a plate. Place two of the slices over the salad and add a little of the liquid from the beetroot marinade. Serve immediately.