Catherine Leyden: Rustic Loaf
Wed, 13 September 2017
500g / 1lb 2oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
2 Onions (finely chopped)
2 tablespoons Sunflower Oil
Pinch Chilli Powder
2 tablespoons Chopped Chives
50g / 2oz Pitted Green Olives (finely chopped)
300ml / 1/2 pint Milk
1. Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Lightly grease a flat baking sheet.
2. Fry onions in the oil until softened. Onions and oil can also be cooked in microwave, about 2 minutes, depending on power of micro!
3. Meanwhile put the flour, salt, chilli powder, chives and green olives into a large mixing bowl and combine well together.
4. Beat the eggs and milk. Add the onions, egg and milk to the dry Ingredients and mix to a soft dough.
5. Turn onto a lightly floured board and knead gently. Shape dough into an oval and place on the prepared tin.
6. Using a sharp knife, score the top of dough with several slashes.
7. Bake for about 35 - 40 minutes, or until slightly risen and golden brown.
8. Transfer to a wire tray to cool.