Easter Simnel Cupcakes
Wed, 5 April 2017
150g/5oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour
125g/4oz Butter (room temperature)
125g/4oz Shamrock Golden Caster Sugar
3 Eggs, beaten
½ teaspoon Goodall's Mixed Spice
Grated Rind of 1 Lemon
1 tablespoon Brandy or Rum (optional)
350g packet Shamrock Luxury Fruit Mix
2 tablespoons Apricot Jam, to glaze cupcakes
2 x 250g packets Shamrock Almond Marzipan
1. Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5. Line muffin tins with paper cases.
2. Cream butter and sugar together until smooth. Gradually beat in the eggs.
3. Add flour, lemon rind and mixed spice. Gently stir until well combined.
4. Finally mix in the fruit and brandy or rum.
5. Divide half the mixture into the paper cases. Take half the marzipan, roll out and cut into circles, place onto the fruit mixture.
6. Top marzipan circles with remaining mixture. Bake for about 25 minutes until risen and golden brown.
7. Meanwhile, roll out other half of marzipan and cut out 12 circles and shape out 11 balls.
8. Heat the apricot jam in a pan. Remove the cupcakes from the oven and brush the top of each cooked cupcake with melted jam, place a circle of marzipan on each.
9. Dip each ball into melted jam and place in centre of each cupcake. Return to oven for a further 5 minutes until the marzipan is golden brown.
10. Remove from tin and cool on a wire tray. Store in an airtight container.