1) Heat a drizzle of rapeseed oil in a pan then add the shallots and fry gently. They will start to caramelise after about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and fry for a further 2–3 minutes until the garlic is fragrant, then remove from the heat and set aside.
2) In a large bowl, add the chickpeas and mash with a fork until smooth and creamy. Add the parsley, coriander and cumin. Next, fold the egg into the mixture with the flour. Finally, add the onion and garlic and give everything a good stir.
3) Divide the mixture into 12 little patties. Heat 3–4 tablespoons of rapeseed oil in a frying pan until really hot then drop the falafel in and fry on both sides until golden.
4) Serve with hummus (see page 173) and a baby salad of chopped soft lettuce leaves, quartered tomatoes and finely chopped spring onion.
Sweet Potato Hummus
6 cloves garlic, skin on
400g tinned chickpeas
4 tablespoons tahini
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4 tablespoons water
1 lemon, juice only
40g kale leaves
1) Preheat oven to 180ºC/350º/gas 4.
2) Place the garlic on a baking tray and bake for 15–20 minutes until soft. Then remove from the oven and pop the cloves out of their skins.
3) Add all of the ingredients to a food processor and process until the hummus is deliciously creamy.