1) Heat a drizzle of rapeseed oil in a pan then add the shallots and fry gently. They will start to caramelise after about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and fry for a further 2–3 minutes until the garlic is fragrant, then remove from the heat and set aside.
2) In a large bowl, add the chickpeas and mash with a fork until smooth and creamy. Add the parsley, coriander and cumin. Next, fold the egg into the mixture with the flour. Finally, add the onion and garlic and give everything a good stir.
3) Divide the mixture into 12 little patties. Heat 3–4 tablespoons of rapeseed oil in a frying pan until really hot then drop the falafel in and fry on both sides until golden.
4) Serve with hummus (see page 173) and a baby salad of chopped soft lettuce leaves, quartered tomatoes and finely chopped spring onion.
Sweet Potato Hummus
6 cloves garlic, skin on
400g tinned chickpeas
4 tablespoons tahini
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4 tablespoons water
1 lemon, juice only
40g kale leaves
1) Preheat oven to 180ºC/350º/gas 4.
2) Place the garlic on a baking tray and bake for 15–20 minutes until soft. Then remove from the oven and pop the cloves out of their skins.
3) Add all of the ingredients to a food processor and process until the hummus is deliciously creamy.
Described as the "Voice of Ireland", Tommy Flemming is one of Ireland's top entertainers with his unique talent bringing him worldwide recognition with several sell-out tours in Ireland, the UK, and the US, to name but a few.