Many people try to start the new year by kicking bad habits and starting a new, healthy lifestyle.
One of the most popular New Year's Resolutions is to quit smoking. Amanda White from Nenagh, Co Tipperary, quit cigarettes nearly two years ago and she will be joining us to share her personal story. She will be celebrating being 2 years smoke-free this Friday.
She is joined by Dr Paul Kavanagh, Director of Public Health Medicine North East (Specialist in Public Health Medicine and Advisor to HSE Tobacco Free Ireland programme)
If you do want to try and go smoke free here are Dr Kavanagh's 10 tips
1. Prepare to quit: take a moment to write down your reasons for quitting. Keep them close to hand or even stick them on your fridge as a reminder to stay strong.
2. Make a date to quit the QUIT Team can help you set your quit date and stick to it.
3. Get by with a little help from your friends supportive friends, family and even work colleagues could make all the difference to you on your QUIT journey.
4. Change your routine and habits - do you normally have a cigarette with a coffee or tea? Then change your routine have a cup of water instead or hold your cup in the other hand.
5. Get active when you QUIT you may notice you have more time on your hands so take some time out for activities that you enjoy or try out some new ones.
6. Think positive remember it's never too late to QUIT. Take it one day at a time, say today I'm not doing to smoke, tomorrow is another day.
7. Watch your money grow save your money that you would otherwise spend on cigarettes, you might be surprised at how quickly it all adds up.
8. Keep check on cravings your craving for nicotine will peak at 3-5 minutes and will pass if you deal with it. Have your heard of the 4Ds? 1. Delay at least 3 5 minutes and the urge will pass; 2. Drink a glass of water or fruit juice; 3. Distract yourself, move away from the situation; and 4. Deep breathe breathe slowly and deeply.
9. Watch what you eat. Do 'a quick-fix shop' to include foods such as fruit, crackers, etc. These are taken to satisfy the ' hand to mouth action'.
10. Help yourself QUIT by getting support from the QUIT Team. Our service is available to everyone and is free of charge. By using a support service like our makes you twice as likely to succeed.