Traditional Italian Zeppole
Thu, 7 December 2017
SERVES 6 PEOPLE
300 ml water
125 unsalted butter
pinch of salt
250 gr 00 flour
Icing sugar for decoration
They can be served with custard and cherries, chocolate cream, whipped cream and fruit
· In a medium saucepan combine the butter, salt and water over medium heat. Bring to a boil.
· Take pan off the heat and stir in the flour with rapid strokes to avoid lumps.
· Return pan to low heat and stir continuously until mixture forms a ball, about 3 to 5 minutes. A thin white layer should form at the bottom of the pan.
· Transfer the flour mixture to a medium bowl and add eggs, 1 at a time, incorporating each egg completely before adding the next.
· Add vanilla essence and lemon zest.
· Transfer the dough to a pastry bag and create little circles on greaseproof paper.
· Cook in the oven at 200 degrees for about 25 minutes till golden.
· Fill the centre with custard and a cherry on top sprinkling some icing sugar.
· Arrange on a platter and serve immediately.