Traditional Italian Zeppole
Thu, 7 December 2017
SERVES 6 PEOPLE
- 300 ml water
- 125 unsalted butter
- pinch of salt
- 250 gr 00 flour
- 5 eggs
- lemon zest
- Vanilla essence
- Icing sugar for decoration
They can be served with custard and cherries, chocolate cream, whipped cream and fruit
· In a medium saucepan combine the butter, salt and water over medium heat. Bring to a boil.
· Take pan off the heat and stir in the flour with rapid strokes to avoid lumps.
· Return pan to low heat and stir continuously until mixture forms a ball, about 3 to 5 minutes. A thin white layer should form at the bottom of the pan.
· Transfer the flour mixture to a medium bowl and add eggs, 1 at a time, incorporating each egg completely before adding the next.
· Add vanilla essence and lemon zest.
· Transfer the dough to a pastry bag and create little circles on greaseproof paper.
· Cook in the oven at 200 degrees for about 25 minutes till golden.
· Fill the centre with custard and a cherry on top sprinkling some icing sugar.
· Arrange on a platter and serve immediately.