Spicy Baked Meatballs
Mon, 28 August 2017
1 ½ lb/700g lean minced beef
1 small bunch scallions-sliced thinly
2oz/50g fine white breadcrumbs
2 dessert spoon grated cheese (parmesan, cheddar, blue cheese etc)
2 tablespoons sweet chilli relish
1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
2 cans of chopped tomatoes seasoned with a pinch sugar
1 medium sized onion
3 cloves of garlic-crushed
1 large glass red or white wine
1 tablespoon fresh oregano/1 teaspoon dried oregano
Pinch Chilli Flakes
3 tablespoons cream (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4
- I normally pop on some disposable gloves because this is a messy task.
- The meatballs are very simple to make and will be ready in no time.
- Place the meat and scallions into a large bowl. Add the chilli relish, egg and breadcrumbs together with the grated cheese and chopped parsley.
- Mix thoroughly until combined and then divide the mixture into approximately 12 pieces and then roll each piece into medium sized meatballs.
- Place the meatballs onto a deep baking dish and pop into the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes to allow them to cook a little (this will prevent them from falling apart later on)
- Meanwhile heat a large wide based sauté pan in and fry the onion and garlic until nice and soft.
- Mix in the oregano and the chopped tomatoes along with the wine and chilli flakes.
- Allow the mixture come to the boil and then reduce to a gentle simmer..
- If using the cream add to the sauce now to enrich it.
- Adjust the seasoning and then pour the sauce over the meatballs and continue to bake for another 15 minutes.
- Serve on top of some hot spaghetti. Sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan cheese and chopped parsley.