Sorry, TV3 videos are no longer available to watch in your region
We now have a new home on the Roku box where all your favourite, award-winning TV3 programming as well as latest Irish news are available to view. For more information on how you can stay up to date with the best of TV3, please visit www.tv3.ie/roku
Now with fathers day fast approaching this weekend, what better way to say I love you to your dad then with a cake!
Catherine Leyden joins us now to bake up a chocolater rum variety!
175g/6oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
175g/6oz Margarine (room temperature)
175g/6oz Caster Sugar
3 Tablespoons Cocoa (dissolved in 3 Tablespoons boiling water & cooled)
150ml/¼ pt Water
7 Tablespoons Dark Rum
2 Tablespoons Caster Sugar
1. Lightly grease a ring tin, base, sides and center piece. Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4.
2. Dissolve the cocoa in the water and allow to cool.
3. Put all the cake ingredients into a bowl and mix well until smooth and creamy.
4. Transfer to prepared tin and smooth the top. Bake for about 25 minutes until risen and 'springs' back when gently touched.
5. When baked turn out onto a wire tray to cool. Wash and dry the cake tin.
6. When cake is cooled return it to the tin. Make up the syrup by heating the sugar and water, allow to simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and add the rum.
7. Pour syrup evenly over the cake. Leave cake in tin until cold.
8. Whip the cream and fold in the sugar. Put cake on serving plate and top with the whipped cream. Chill before serving.
Note:Flake bar may be crumbled over the cream if liked, or decorate with other novelties of your choice.